This winter vegetable slaw is nourishing and delicious with a wonderful citrus vinaigrette that gives this comforting salad a kick and just enough sweetness. Combining two different kinds of cabbage with thinly cut kale and shredded carrot this salad makes a touch of rich, citrusy texture that will leave you feeling good from what you just ate.
How to Make a Winter Slaw
1. Gather the ingredients together
I find it that when I gather the ingredients that I will be using before I start any recipe, the process goes much faster. So measure out the ingredients for the citrus vinaigrette and wash your vegetables.
2. Combine the Vegetables Together
Use a large bowl to mix the salad together. Start by adding the shredded carrots, red cabbage, green cabbage, and kale together.
Begin by shredding the cabbage and the carrots with a food processor, or if you do not have one, shred everything by hand using a coarse grater or slice into very thin slices using a sharp knife. Either way will work great, just like any slaw, you want to cut the veggies as thin as possible.
2. How to Make an Easy Citrus Vinaigrette for this Winter Slaw
In a small bowl whisk the dressing ingredients together:
- avocado or olive oil
- orange juice
- lemon juice
- garlic cloves
- onion powder
- Dijon mustard
- sea salt
Toss this vinaigrette for the ultimate juicy winter slaw and chill, or serve room temperature.
3. Combine and Enjoy
Bright and tangy, with a hint of sweetness, this tasty winter slaw with a citrus vinaigrette that enhances the veggies. You can double the dressing recipe to enjoy this salad throughout the week and store it in a mason jar with a salad dressing lid.
Enjoy this winter salad at any time of the year!
Winter Vegetable Slaw with Citrus Vinaigrette
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1/2 small red cabbage shredded
- 1/2 small green cabbage shredded
- 3 cups lacinato kale rib removed and thinly sliced
- 5 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Using a food processor fitted with a shredding blade shred the carrots and add them to a large bowl.
- Add napa/green cabbage to the food processor and shred then add to the bowl with carrots
- Next, shred the red cabbage and add that to the bowl with the carrots and cabbages.
- Add thinly sliced kale to bowl and mix all vegetables to combine well.
- In a small bowl whisk all dressing ingredients together.
- Add dressing to the bowl along with vegetables and mix well making sure to evenly coat the slaw.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes to let the flavors sink in then serve and enjoy!