You don’t need more than 2 ingredients to make a sweet and delicious cherry jam. Cherry jam is worth spending the time on. A small batch of natural cherries and nature’s sugar without pectin or preservatives can be enjoyed right away or saved for later in the freezer.
Just 2 Ingredients for a Sugar-Free Sweet Cherry Jam
Cherries and agave are all you need.
I don’t always use fresh cherries since they are only available in July and August in the Pacific Northwest. Frozen cherries work just as well: they are even faster and easier since frozen cherries are already pitted and ready for use.
How do I store cherry jam?
There are some jams that I make that would be best to store in jars and in a warm place, but not this one. This is the type that you can store in the freezer and just take out to defrost at least 30 minutes before use. There have been times when I would forget to take it out on time, and would just reheat it in a saucepan.
What can you do with cherry jam? How else can you use homemade jam?
No matter what flavor of jam you make, there is so much you can do with it other than just spreading it on toast. My husband likes to eat it just with a cup of tea. My kids love to help me make these rogaliki (rugelach), a sugar-free pastry filled with jam or these Crumbled Jam Bars. I like to put on crepes like these cheese-filled crepes.
Equipment to use when making jam:
- Depending on how much jam you are making, you need a good nonstick pot to prevent the jam from sticking or burning on the bottom.
- You will need a mixing spoon that will not scratch the surface of your pot.
- To de-pit the cherries, you will need a cherry pitter, I like to use this cherry pitter.
Sugar-Free Sweet Cherry Jam
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup agava
- In a medium-size pot, bring cherries to a boil.
- Add in agave.
- Boil for minutes. Let cool down.
- Bring to a boil once again. Let cool down, ready!