It’s harvest season, and there are so many colorful fruits and vegetables ready to be picked and eaten. Inspired by my garden, this Stacked Striped Eggplant Recipe is a great savory appetizer or side dish.
Around this time of year is when my imagination goes absolutely wild with recipes for salads. I usually have a garden of my own, even if it’s just a little one out on the porch. Since my husband and I got married almost ten years ago, we’ve moved eleven times; some homes were our own and some we rented. I would try to start a garden only to find out a few months later that we would be moving again, and since you can’t really move a garden, I would have to leave it behind. My husband is from Canada and I’m from the States, so we go back and forth a lot, either to visit family or to live in either of the two countries for a few years. We’ve spent the last five years traveling to other countries, so I haven’t been able to take care of a garden of my own. We finally decided to build our own home (which will be ready close to springtime!) and I hope I will be able to have a big garden there. But, in the meantime, my parents’ backyard is filled with different fruits and vegetables all year round, and I can go there to pick whatever is in season at the moment.
What if I don’t have a garden?
If you don’t have a garden of your own, though, check out your local farmer’s markets for seasonal produce. I picked up some striped eggplants and a pound of tomatoes still on the vine just last week at our local market. Since I prefer to bake or roast vegetables instead of sautéing them, I knew these purple striped eggplants would make a delicious warm salad dish perfect for fall.
Fresh vegetables are so good for you. I just love how each one contains so many health benefits! For example, eggplant is linked to bone health and weight-loss, tomatoes benefit the heart and contain a small amount of calories, and spinach is a superfood that is high in iron.
Stacked Striped Eggplant Recipe
- 2 small striped eggplants
- 4 large tomatoes
- 6 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoon chopped spinach
- Slice eggplants, 1 cm. Add to a bowl and drizzle 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Give it a good toss, and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Slice 4 tomatoes thinly.
- In a small bowl mix 6 oz crumbled feta cheese, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, and 2 Tablespoons chopped spinach.
- Place half of the eggplants on a baking sheet. On top of it place a slice of tomato and then a teaspoon of feta mixture. Add another a slice of eggplant, another slice of tomato and a teaspoon of feta mixture. Drizzle the rest of extra-virgin olive oil on top of each stack.
- Roast in oven for 15 minutes.