Spice up your salad or side dish with a Tomato Chickpea Salad that will keep you full and help with your digestion.
I didn’t always eat chickpeas, how about you?
Ten years ago, I didn’t like chickpeas. I had never paid any attention to them because my mom never cooked with them. But when I met my husband, he invited me to dinner at his house and his mom served us a wonderful soup made with chickpeas. At first, I thought they were pealed hazelnuts! These little beans have tons of vitamins and countless nutritional benefits. I started to research chickpeas after this discovery, wondering how I could use them in my own recipes. Today, I even eat chickpeas by themselves. Do you like chickpeas?
Why should you incorporate more chickpeas into your diet?
Simply because this bean, which tastes almost like a chestnut, is absolutely packed with fiber and protein. The tomato in this salad will support heart health and its a low-calorie ingredient. A good way to introduce chickpeas into your daily diet is to throw them into a quick salad, like this spicy tomato chickpea salad!
Spicy Tomato Chickpea Salad
- 1 15 oz can organic chickpeas garbanzo beans
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 2 stems of fresh dill
- 1 large garlic clove or 2 small cloves
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- A thin slice of red onion
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- A pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Drain chickpeas from 1 15oz can. Place in a salad bowl.
- Dice 2 plum tomatoes and a slice of red onion. Add to chickpeas.
- In a skillet on low heat, add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- Mince 1 large garlic clove and add to the skillet. Stir constantly. Add 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Sauté till garlic begins to brown.
- Add the sautéed garlic with spices to chickpeas and tomatoes.
- Chop fresh dill and add to the salad, along with a pinch of salt (or to your taste).