Try this unique beef-rice soup! It is sure to warm you up on the cold winter days.
Kharcho is a beef rice soup. There are many variations from family to family, but this is how I was taught to make it.It’s just a simple homemade soup made out of basic ingredients that people usually have on hand. Even though it is a simple soup, it’s still packed with flavor and nutrition. I like using a soft meat like filet mignon for it which turns out very soft.
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound filet mignon beef 1" cubed
- 1 Tablespoon salt + more to taste
- 1/2 cup rice
- 3-4 potatoes cubed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 handful parsley chopped
- ground black pepper to taste
- Fill up a medium size pot with 6 cups of water.
- Place cubed beef in the pot and a tablespoon of salt. Cook for 1 hour over medium-low heat.
- Take meat out. Add potatoes and rice to the pot and cook until the potatoes are soft.
- In a skillet, heat up 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and add in the onion. Sauté until onion is almost transparent.
- Add cooked meat to the onions. Continue sautéing for another minute.
- Add in garlic and stir in a tablespoon of tomato paste. Sauté everything together for two minutes. Add to the pot.
- Bring everything to a boil, then add pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with parsley. and serve!