This traditional Russian Salad is easier to create than you think! Create beautiful layers of a salad easily!
If you have never had a layered salad with seafood, in this case herring, you simply just should. It may not be what you are really used to, or how you would arrange a salad, but this herring under a fur coat is just boiled vegetables with a layer of herring. Herring is a low-calorie type of fish and usually is found in glass jars near the fresh seafood section of the grocery store.
Its important to include seafood to improve heart health. It is low in fats, high in protein and most importantly, contains omega-3 fatty acids that benefit the heart. Along with seafood, potatoes are low in fats and contain a good source of vitamin B6 which is essential for maintaining a healthy metabolism. As for eggs, they contain more fat but contains a great amount of healthy protein.
Herring Under a Fur Coat
- 2 potatoes
- 1 herring
- 2 carrots
- 3 large eggs
- 2 red beets
- 4 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- Boil beets, potatoes, and carrots until soft.
- Boil eggs in a separate pot.
- After the vegetables have cooled, begin putting the salad together.
- Grate potatoes on a small grate onto the bottom of a plate. Spread 1 Tablespoon of mayonnaise on top of the potatoes.
- Chop herring into very small pieces, taking out any bones. Spread on top of the potatoes.
- Peel and grate carrots on top of the herring. Spread another tablespoon of mayonnaise on top.
- Grate hard boiled eggs on top of the carrots.
- Peel and grate beets, then spread over the eggs.
- With the rest of the mayonnaise, cover the whole top of the salad (you could also do sides).
- Garnish with fresh chopped dill and green onion.