Level up from a classic chicken noodle soup for a Vegetable Soup with Chicken and Rice, fewer calories and more nutrition.
It has been a while since I have posted a soup recipe. It is not because I haven’t been cooking soups (I cook soups at least twice a week), but mainly because I have been experimenting with soups and didn’t want to post something I wouldn’t make again. My whole family enjoyed this chicken, rice, and vegetable soup even on this hot summer day. It has a good amount of vegetables and protein but is nice and light in flavor.
Chicken, Rice, and Vegetable Soup
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb chicken thighs boneless + skinless, cut into bite size pieces
- 5 medium Yukon potatoes peeled + cubed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 small head of broccoli chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup white rice cooked
- ground black pepper
- fresh dill chopped, for garnish
- In a medium size soup pot, bring 8 cups of water to a boil.
- Add in salt, chicken, and potatoes, then cook on medium heat until the potatoes are soft.
- In a skillet, heat up 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Add in onion; sauté for 3 minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add carrots to the onion and cook for another minute. Set aside.
- When the potatoes and meat are cooked, add the onion and carrots to the soup pot along with the broccoli and cooked rice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then turn off heat.
- Garnish with fresh dill.