This all-from-scratch buttery and creamy pasta with shrimp is delicious! The creamy sauce that is made from scratch + simple ingredients & spices is worth the time. This dish comes together in a large skillet over medium heat.
What is capellini pasta?
Capellini is a very thin variety of Italian pasta. Angel hair pasta is even thinner, but can be used instead of capellini. For best results, cook the pasta according to the package. Make sure to not over boil the pasta in salted water, so you don’t end up having nasty-tasting and soggy noodles.
What can I substitute shrimp for?
While this is a dish recipe for pasta and shrimp, you can skip the shrimp or substitute it for mushrooms or chicken. The taste of the noodles or cream should not change, but I find the creamy buttery sauce stands more out with a light protein, like shrimp.
How to make the white sauce for pasta?
Instead of going out and buying ready-made pasta sauce in a jar with a long shelf life, try making your own! It’s easy.
To make the creamy white sauce you will need butter, onion, and white wine vinegar (you can also use regular white wine). For the creamy part add half & half, shredded parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste.
Capellini Pasta with White Sauce and Butter Shrimp
- 8 oz capellini pasta
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 oz parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley leaves chopped
- Cook pasta per instructions on the box.
- Mix together shrimp, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot, add in shrimp. Cook each side of shrimp for 2 minutes or until cooked through. Remove shrimp from heat.
- In a small skillet, add the butter and onion. Cook until the onion is soft and clear (4-5 minutes).
- Add in garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in white wine vinegar, cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add in half & half and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in shredded parmesan, mix for it to come together as a smooth creamy sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in pasta, shrimp, and finely chopped parsley.
- Ready to serve!