Beet salad with goat cheese and toasted hazelnuts with greens is a classic for the holidays and dinner parties! I love this salad, or any beet salad really because I love beets! Do you? This salad recipe makes a great lunch or side dish. The best beet salads are very simple and only require a few ingredients.
The sweetness of the beets pairs really well with the tangy taste of goat cheese and crunchy hazelnuts. Making a basic balsamic vinaigrette adds a great flavor for the salad without overpowering the taste of the veggies.
How to Cook Beets
How to boil beets:
There are several different options on how to cook your beets. I find that the best and healthiest way is to fill a large pot with water, bring to a boil, add beets, and cook for an hour or until tender. Just by poking a fork into the beet will let you know if the beet is soft enough. Drain the water, take the beets out, and let them cool down (beets should be cool enough to handle or cold). This allows for easy peeling after beets are cooled down.
How to roast beets:
Another method of cooking beets is to wrap beets whole or individually with foil and spread on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for an hour on preheating oven to 350F for 40-60 minutes. The amount of cooking time will depend on the size of the beets.
Feel free to choose whichever method works best for you, and after the beets are cooled down, peel each one (they peel easily).
Do I have to use hazelnuts?
If hazelnuts are not your best choice of nuts, walnuts would great with this beet salad recipe. You would still want to toast them up in a skillet.
Beet Salad with Toasted Hazelnuts, Goat Cheese and Greens with a Simple Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 large red beet cooked, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 2 oz arugula washed
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbled
- 1 Tbsp hazelnut toasted
- 1 Tbsp pomegranate seeds
Balsamic Vinegar Salad Dressing
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic in vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Boil the beets until soft (check their tenderness with a fork). Let them cool down, then peel and slice.
- Arrange greens on a plate.
- Add beets, goat cheese, hazelnuts, and pomegranate seeds.
- Make the dressing by combining together 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 Tsp dijon mustard, ⅛ tsp salt, and ⅛ tsp ground black pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over salad mixture and enjoy!